Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Do You Ever Wish for a Superpower?

Mara here: I recently saw the movie Wonder Woman. I'm a fan of superhero action movies and thought this one was done well. It was fun and action packed. As a little girl I remember wrapping tin foil around my wrists and running around the park next to our house, pretending to deflect bullets.

And it made me come back to a question I often ask myself, which is this: If I could have a superhuman power, which one would I want? Strength, invisibility, time travel?

Usually, when I ask this, I immediately think of how amazing it would be to be a healer—to have the ability to take away people's pain, whether it be mental or physical. But I worry that I wouldn't be strong enough to handle that responsibility. I think the fact that it would be impossible to help everyone would destroy me pretty quickly. 

So my second choice is to be able to fly. I have a recurring dream in which I'm flying. Not like superman or a bird, but more like a kite, where I have to run fast and then take a huge leap. I get picked up by the wind and suddenly I'm soaring and floating. I can't seem to keep myself up in the air indefinitely. But if I can get enough momentum and there's wind, I can soar through the air like leaves being carried by a current.

My dreams always feel real, and I always feel as if my flying is a secret that nobody else is supposed to know I can do. 

Those moments I'm soaring through the air feel so exhilarating. I feel completely free in a way that I haven't been able to recreate in my conscious life.

***

Toni here. It was so fascinating for me to read Mara's piece because what happens in her dreams now is what happened in mine when I was a little girl. I had so much fun in those dreams, flying all over the place, watching people who didn't know I was watching (I was invisible). I'm so glad that Mara has a recurring dream that she can fly!

What superpower would I want? I thought this would be a tough one for me because my first thought was that I'm not interested in having a superpower. But then I read the list of Mara's possibilities and realized that it's time travel for me! Travel to the past not the future though. I'd like to "taste" a dozen different eras, such as ancient Greek and the Renaissance and the Elizabethan era. But there are some dark times in history that I wouldn't want to go back to, so I guess there's a condition I need to impose on this superpower: I get to choose what "time" I travel to or the deal's off!

What about you? Have you ever wished for a super human power? 


The Elizabethan Era










No comments:

Post a Comment